Monday, December 2, 2019

Thailand Summary

On this trip, I have learned a lot about different healthcare systems, tropical diseases, and culture. I have also learned a lot about traveling and exploring foreign places. We certainly spent a lot of time out of our comfort zone.

Since being here, I discovered I have a new favorite food, khao soi (a curry and noodle dish from northern Thailand). I have been thrilled with all of the food I have learned to love here.  It has been interesting to compare authentic Thai food to the Thai food sold in Maine. 

The most beneficial knowledge I gained from this trip is the knowledge of their healthcare system. Since Thailand has universal coverage for all Thai citizens, it was enlightening to see the benefits and challenges of it first hand. Since this is a pivotal time for healthcare in the US, this was convenient timing. With only 1/5 of the GDP of the US, Thailand makes universal healthcare work, although we saw many sacrifices that had to be made by the Thai people and healthcare providers. 

Although all of this taught me a lot, the most valuable experiences I have had in Thailand are those I experienced with my friends. We explored everywhere (including where we were advised not to) and laughed every step of the way. They made even  nights in so much fun and were always up for any adventure. I will look back at this trip fondly, missing the warm Thailand heat as we go back to the cold winter in Maine. 






No comments:

Post a Comment