Thursday, December 5, 2019

Goodbye Thailand!

After spending this past month in Thailand, all I can say is I’m very grateful for this experience. I’ve learned so much about Thai culture, their healthcare, and way of life. Additionally I’ve learned so much about myself through this journey. I think one of my favorite visits on this trip was at Ramithibodi Hospital in Bangkok. The head pharmacist Nani and her entire staff were very welcoming and embodied what it meant to be a pharmacist at Ramithibodi. I took so much away from the two days we spent with them (ie. approach to care for difficult to treat patients). Throughout this journey I noticed a lot of what the healthcare providers do is for the Thai people and they are really culturally tied to their roots. They look at treating patients with more natural remedies like herbals before resorting to conventional drug regimens. This experience has made me more culturally aware of others and has made me realize how much of an impact one’s beliefs/ faith can have on their health. 


As for myself, looking back this journey was definitely a growing experience. Living in a different country for an entire month can be challenging and rewarding. I’ve learned how to quickly adapt to another’s way of life, different food and cultural experiences. I’ve learned how important it is to take care of yourself and to always stay positive, no matter how challenging the situation may seem. I’ve learned how important it is to have a support system and building friendships along the way because everyone needs someone to lean on every once in awhile. This experience has given me the strength to go outside of my comfort zone more often. I will certainly be taking these life lessons I’ve learned along the way and implementing them in my future practice as a pharmacist. With that being said, I don’t think I would’ve learned these things about myself if I did spend four weeks in Thailand. I’m leaving this place with a sense of pride and new found confidence, knowing I was able to experience living and learning in Thailand this past month. 



No comments:

Post a Comment