Wednesday, December 4, 2019

My Thailand Experience

Spending the past 4 weeks in Thailand has been one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity and I will always remember this rotation as being one of the highlights of my entire time at UNE. This Thailand rotation has allowed me to learn a lot about the Thai healthcare system, Thai culture, my peers, and myself. This experience was truly amazing and a once in a lifetime opportunity to live in a different country for a month and have many academic and cultural experiences.

Throughout this rotation I was able to learn a lot about the Thai healthcare system and how they have universal health coverage. I also have a much better understanding about the similarities and differences between hospital and community pharmacies in the United States vs. Thailand. I really enjoyed being able to have these kinds of discussions with Thai pharmacists and pharmacy students, as well as being able to tour many different hospitals throughout Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I have also learned a lot about different diseases that are not as common in the United States, such as dengue fever, leprosy, or tuberculosis. It was a great opportunity to learn about these disease states and then observe the interaction between a doctor and a patient that had the disease.

I have also really enjoyed our cultural activities and I have learned a lot about Thai culture in general. Visiting the temples, going to the floating market, doing the cooking class, and trying many new foods has made this rotation not only academic but a cultural experience as well. Throughout this Thailand rotation, I have also learned a lot about myself. This trip has given me a lot more confidence and independence. I have realized how important it is to push myself and go outside of my comfort zone, and I am so glad I decided to do this rotation. I am very grateful and have a deeper appreciation for everything we have in the U.S. (the opportunities, technology, care, living, etc), and I truly believe this whole experience will positively affect how I work and care for patients when I become a pharmacist.




No comments:

Post a Comment