Saturday, December 7, 2019

End scene

Astounded, that’s the first word that comes to mind when I think of Thailand. For any person thinking to themselves should I do this APPE rotation, is it worth it, can I afford it, will I be able to cope with being in a foreign country for an entire month? My answer will always be yes. Take the leap of faith, let go of your fears and do this APPE rotation. I will be the first to say that I signed on to this rotation at the very last minute. I was completely unsure of myself and if this was really something I wanted to do. I ended up convincing my best friend to do it with me and to say the least, this was the most beautiful opportunity I’ve had since P1 year. 

Thailand has allowed me to grow so much more than I even realized. I have gained more patience, more understanding and greater appreciate for all that I have. Personal lessons I learned on this trip was firstly to walk away, secondly to be grateful and lastly to take the time to enjoy every moment. Walking away from anything that will allows yourself to compromise below what you believe is worth it is surprisingly difficult. None the less I learned this lesson in the Markets of Chang Mai. I have never been one to bargain but when thrown into that situation, I learned a lot about myself and my abilities. Second lesson learned was to be more grateful for the simple things in life like clean air, clean water and having a fundamental support system of people who truly care about you. I can say that on this trip I made new friends that are one in a lifetime. I will never truly be able express how appreciative I am for the supportive friends I had on this trip. 

Thailand will definitely push you to get outside of your comfort zone, it will allow you to open your mind to a different lifestyle which in turn will allow you to grow. For me Thailand was so much more than just books, the drugs and the hospital but it was an experience that allowed me to truly see how advance we are medically. How fortune we are to have the state-of-the-art hospitals, outstanding care and amazing medical personnel. This APPE is one that is all encompassing, so much that I wish it were required. If you were like me and are borderline between going and not going, GO! Take the leap of faith, I promise you won’t regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment